Monday, July 9, 2012

Feed the Babe: Homemade Chicken Baby Food

As most of you may know, I have been trying to make most of my own baby food for H.  I am slightly obsessed with making sure she gets healthy food and doesn't become a picky eater.  Well, I have been really busy at work and I have been slacking on my food making.  When it was time to have her try some food with meat in it, I slacked and bought a couple of different organic brands for her to try.  I tasted them myself, they weren't too terrible, but she never ate more than a few bites of them.

Then I started reading some of the labels more closely, and was surprised to see how little protein was in them.  Which means they probably didn't have much meat in them and were mostly vegetable fillers.  So I started feeling bad and decided to try making some of my own chicken dishes for her.  They turned out pretty well, and were super easy, so I thought I would share.

4 Ingredients - 2 Dishes

You will need (all organic)

- 2-3 chicken or turkey breasts
- 1 large sweet potato
- 3/4 a cup of dry red lentils
- apple (I used a Gala)

1. Trim fat and dice meat into cubes

2.  Peel and chop potato and apple into 1 inch cubes

3.  In one sauce pan combine 2 cups water, 1/2 the chicken or turkey,1/2 the potato and the entire apple

4.  In another pan combine 2 cups water, the other half of the meat, the other half of the potato and the lentils

5.  Bring both pans to a boil, cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and the potato is soft enough to cut with a fork

6.  When you are done, blend each mixture separately (including any remaining water) in the blender until mixed well and all chunks are gone

Each pot made about 12 1.5 oz servings

I freeze mine in silicone ice cube trays, and defrost them in the microwave before serving.  You may need to add a little water or breast milk/formula to thin them after re-heating.  My personal favorite was the lentil mixture - it tasted like chicken and dumplings to me and Baby H gobbled it all up!

No comments: