Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Bringing Baby Home

Ok, so you have been planning your nursery and getting the house ready for probably 6 months.  If you are anything like me, you have organized every closet, washed everything is special baby soap and have enough diapers and wipes for the next 3 months.  I even cooked some meals and stored them in the freezer for quick heating and eating.  The big question for me was, do I want my Mom to come home from the hospital with us and stay, or do I want to do it on my own?

My Mom lives 3+ hours away, so this was something I wanted to decided before I went to the hospital.  Everyone says how great it is to have your Mom or a family member help you when you first get home, but part of me wanted to do it on my own.  I didn't have much experience with babies - ok like none really - but I had a ton of visitors in the hospital and the peace and calm of my own house alone seemed inviting.  After my c-section, I was not able to do as much as I wanted, but The Husband and I still decided we could do it, and all our family returned home the day we left the hospital.

As we prepared to leave the hospital I got her car seat all ready (we had to adjust the straps - I suggest you do this before you get to the hospital to have the baby) and I actually needed help from the nurse putting her going home outfit on.  I had never dressed a baby before and she was so wiggly and fragile!  We drove home and arrived at our nice, clean, calm house.

The next couple of days were AMAZING.  We got the hang of taking care of her pretty quickly and it was so nice to be in our own house, just the three of us, our own little family.  At night, when she was sleeping, and The Husband and I were just relaxing on the couch, I would cry.  Cry because I was just so happy and our little family felt so complete.  I didn't worry about unpacking, or cleaning the house, or checking email.  I just concentrated on my baby and our family.

My Mom came back to visit after about 5 days, when The Husband had to go back to work.  She helped me unpack, organize, sort through hospital paper work and do laundry.  It was the best decision I made - having her come a few days after I had my own time with the baby.  I would highly suggest you get some alone time in with your new baby before your family descends upon you.  Because they will be around a lot more now that you have a baby, I promise!

So here are my top tips to prepare for and bring home your new bundle of joy:

-clean the house the week before your due date - better yet, have someone do it for you!
-stock the freezer with a few meals, even though people will probably bring you food, it will be nice to have
-get enough diapers, wipes and other household items (paper towels, toilet paper) to last awhile so you don't have to go shopping anytime soon
-adjust the straps on your car seat before you get to the hospital, but bring the manual with you just in case you need it
-make sure your going home outfit makes strapping them in the car seat easy, no gowns!
-have a stool ready to make getting in and out of your bed easier
-go ahead and set up the place where baby will be sleeping in your room before you go to the hospital
-pay any bills that are going to be due in the week after you come home
-let family members know what your plans are and when they can come see the baby, its ok to take those first few days for yourself!
-enjoy the first week at home, don't try to get too much done!

2 comments:

Lindsay N. Strickland said...

I'm really glad you posted this! I've been debating on what we should do. I don't think I'm going to have the luxury of having time alone because we currently live 12 hours away from all of our friends and family in Texas.

I don't know how I feel about my family and my inlaws coming to stay with us for weeks...it makes me a little nervous!! Eeek...

miss twinkletoes said...

Thank you so much for this post! I am 5 months pregnant and been wondering about this exact situation. My mom really wants to stay a week but I want my husband and I to have some time alone. I think I'm going to take the route you id. And your other tips are so helpful!!! Love your blog!

Www.twinkletoes-golddangles.blogspot.com